Wednesday 12 January 2011

12.01. Famous quotes

Hello again, I have had a couple of days off, but I am back today. “I'm pleased to report that I had no problems this week. I only had issues, opportunities, challenges and valuable learning experiences.” Well, quite appropriate words with regards to my week, but unfortunately, the words are not mine; I found them on the internet some years ago. I can’t tell you who said them originally; the quote was without a name. I often come across quotes and elegantly put sentences, and I try to copy them down in a document for later use, especially those where I can find an author. Some of them end up on my greeting cards, as short quotes can be quite suitable for things like that. But I do like to use quotes where I know for sure who said them,
as half the point often is to know the person who served the famous words in the first place.

Like this one, for example: “An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows.” Well said, but it gets better when I add that the quote comes from Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969), better known as Ike Eisenhower, the 34th President of the United States, from 1953 until 1961.

Or what about this one: “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” Said by... Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)...he probably doesn’t need any further introduction.

Or this one: “You may not realise it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.”  Said by...Walt Disney (1901 - 1966).

Another one? "If you do the job badly enough, sometimes you don't get asked to do it again." - Calvin and Hobbes. (Calvin and Hobbes is a syndicated daily comic strip.)

And I especially like this one by Richard Dawkins: “We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.” Richard Dawkins (1941 - )

Here is one I have used on one of my greeting cards: “Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans” John Lennon (1940 - 1980) The quote is taken from one of John Lennon’s songs, Beautiful Boy.

OK, just one last one for now? Here it comes: “I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.” Well said... by Robert McCloskey (1914 - 2003), who was an American author and illustrator of children's books.

I have never been into poetry, most poems I have ever seen seems to me as if someone has just taken a normal chunk of text and altered the order of the words, so nothing comes in the normal order anymore. It doesn’t appeal to me, besides, I like to be able to write a whole paragraph-sentence if I want to, or just one word between one full stop and the next full stop. Poems seems so constricted and rigid to me. But these types of quotes appeal to me, they are a bit of poetry in my eyes, and say a lot in a short sentence. Like this one: "Don't wait for the one you can live with, wait for the one you can't live without." Don’t know who said that one first, but it’s well said, couldn’t agree more...after 2 failed marriages I suppose I am bound to agree! And, I am still waiting, by the way :-) Which nicely leads me on to my last quote for today: Good decisions come from experience and experience comes from bad decisions. I’ll let that one linger a bit in the air...whilst looking for some graphics for this post, it does look a bit bland, doesn’t it? Not sure if I got any pictures on my computer that I can tie in with today’s theme...so I guess it means my cat will have to make an appearance again!

Well, he is lovely, so why not. Here he is, looking very relaxed and sleepy.

Hmmm, I had a great plan for later today: we have a bit of a wind from Southern Europe coming our way, making the temperature more than 10 degrees warmer than last week, and my great plan was to do a bit of tidying up in the garden. But, as it seems like now, that plan can just go in the bin, as  along with the warm weather we are going to get heavy rain every day for the next 5 days! It doesn’t really help with 13-14 plus degrees, if it’s bucketing down. I am keen, but not that keen. So I guess my garden will have to wait for better weather, again. Might be enough time for another post this week then? Until next time, take care....I’ll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.